Tidying up your space during the festive season might not top your holiday wish list, but it’s a crucial step for both real estate owners and tenants. A clean property is not only more welcoming during holiday celebrations but also crucial when transitioning between tenants. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore practical and easy-to-follow tips to ensure your property remains spick and span during the bustling holiday period.
The Importance of Exit Cleaning
Exit cleaning, especially during the holidays, goes beyond regular tidying up. It’s about restoring the property to a pristine condition, making it ready for new occupants or ensuring it remains in top shape for owners. Whether you’re a tenant aiming to secure your deposit or a property owner preparing for the next occupants, exit cleaning is your pathway to a hassle-free transition.
Before You Begin: Pre-Cleaning Checklist
- Declutter: Before the deep clean, remove any personal items or decorations. This not only makes cleaning easier but also ensures that you don’t leave anything behind.
- Inspect: Walk through each room, noting areas that need special attention. Pay attention to spots that are often overlooked, like the tops of cabinets, light fixtures, and behind appliances.
- Gather Supplies: Ensure you have all the necessary cleaning materials. Having everything at hand will make the process smoother and quicker.
Room-by-Room Cleaning Tips
- Countertops and Cabinets: Wipe down all surfaces, paying special attention to areas around the sink and stove. Cabinets should be emptied, cleaned inside, and out.
- Appliances: Clean the oven, microwave, refrigerator, and other appliances. Don’t forget to pull them out and clean behind and underneath.
- Sink and Taps: Descale taps and ensure the sink is spotless and unblocked.
- Toilet, Sink, and Bathtub/Shower: These should be scrubbed and disinfected thoroughly. Check for any mold or mildew and treat accordingly.
- Mirrors and Fixtures: Wipe down mirrors, taps, and fixtures to a shine.
Living Areas and Bedrooms:
- Carpets and Floors: Vacuum carpets and mop hard floors. Consider a professional steam clean for carpets if they’re especially dirty.
- Walls and Windows: Wipe down walls, removing any marks. Clean the inside and outside of windows and any window treatments.
- Garden and Patio: Tidy up outdoor areas, ensuring they’re free from debris and rubbish. Clean any outdoor furniture.
Maintaining Cleanliness During the Holiday Rush
- Routine Maintenance: Regularly take out the trash, do the dishes, and keep surfaces wiped down.
- Spot Cleaning: Address spills and stains immediately to prevent them from setting in.
- Assign Responsibilities: If you’re not living alone, share the cleaning tasks among all household members.
Post-Cleaning: Final Touches
- Odour Removal: Ensure there are no lingering smells. Open windows to let fresh air in and consider using lightly scented sprays.
- Safety Check: Ensure all smoke detectors, lights, and appliances are in working order.
Engaging Professional Help
While DIY cleaning is effective, sometimes calling in professionals is the best option, especially for deep cleaning or if you’re short on time. Consider hiring a reputable cleaning service, Affordable Cleaning and Gardening Services. With over 15 years of experience, their team of skilled and licensed professionals ensures a comprehensive clean that will meet the highest standards.
✓How long in advance should I plan my exit cleaning?
Start planning at least a couple of weeks in advance, especially if you’re going to hire professionals.
✓Are there special cleaning considerations for the holidays?
Yes, you might want to pay extra attention to guest areas and ensure decorations don’t damage surfaces.
✓What are common areas people forget to clean?
Behind appliances, tops of cabinets, inside of the oven, and window tracks are often overlooked.
✓How can I ensure I get my full deposit back as a tenant?
Ensure the property is as clean, if not cleaner, than when you moved in. Document the property’s condition with photos for reference.